In the Heart of Brussels...
The Building housing the Jacques Franck Cultural Centre used to be a small local cinema named the “Saint-Gillois”. After the euphoria of the Libération in 1945, the cinema became “L’Élysée”. Through the consitutuency’s impetus, it is renamed “Théâtre du Parvis” in 1969 following Marc Liebens’ initiative for the “Young Creation” movement that influenced contemporary theatre.
In 1973, the Theatre becomes the Jacques Franck Cultural Centre named after the Senator-Mayor who added a cultural aspect to the place. In 1992, the Centre was accredited by the French Community.
Today, thanks in part to the growing success of its cultural actions, the Jacques Franck has established its own language and personality. It aims, amongst other things, to be in permanent contact with the needs of the locals through an “integrated” partnership with local authorities as well as with local associations.
Day-in, day-out, its purpose is to present quality works of art and programmes, whether to defend popular culture and the individual artistic manifestations or to put contemporary creations in direct contact with all types of public. In order to do so, an appropriate pricing policy seeks to ensure cultural access to everyone.
Finally, an artistic programme with strong themes relating to the daily life of the constituency enables to bridge gaps between the generations and create strong links with the associations active in the Saint-Gilles area. It also favours exchanges between the artistic and the cultural, thus helping to build a cultural horizon for the constituency, as well as the Brussels region.
The Coordination of Cultural Centres in Brussels interviewed Thierry Van Campenhout, director at the Cultural Centre of Saint-Gilles.
See the photo gallery